What if this girl went to the Tonys, What if this girl went to the Tony Awards?

I got the Golden Silver Ticket!

So, just when you think you have absolutely nothing else about theatre to write about, The Universe gives you about the most ultimate thing to write about theatre. What is it, you ask, dear bloggers? I'll give you a hint: it has to do with something that starts with a T and ends with an -ONY. Give up?


Whuuuuut? You read it right. So how did I, humble college student, down 'n' out about her place in theatre, score such an opportunity? Easy: Facebook. No, really. Being the obsessed musical theatre geek I am, I decide to follow The Tony Awards' official Facebook account a few days ago by clicking on the "become a fan" button. Then, around perhaps Tuesday, I see an update that says the following:

A Student Rush Ticket Lottery for the Tony ceremony telecast will take place on Thursday, June 4th -- Constantine Maroulis and James Carpinello will draw the names!

Obviously, never one to shy away from any sort of student rush, I jumped at the chance. On that rainy Thursday morning, I ventured out to Times Square at 8 in the morning, hoping that I'd get a good place in line at the Broadway Concierge and Ticket Center. Thankfully, I did. I was probably one of about twenty people at the line by the time I'd arrived.

I waited for about 3 hours, trying my best to forego food until afterwards; I'd only had a bowl of cereal before I left, and that had been around 6.30 in the morning. It didn't help that we were right in front of a McDonald's, where we could see people ordering egg McMuffins and steaming hot McCafe's. I tried to ignore my rebelling tummy as I sobbed hysterically gazed longingly at some dude's breakfast burrito.

Finally, at around 10.30, they decided to let us in to hand in our names for the lottery. I showed my ID and wrote my name down on the tiny red "reciept," which looked like tickets one would get at Coney Island, or Chuck E. Cheese's. The lady at the desk took my name, and gave me the corresponding end, which had a matching number.

We were told to come back at 3pm for the drawing. I went to Hunter and pretty much napped for the duration of those four hours, and then went back. By the time I'd arrived at the Ticket Center, however, I knew I had missed the drawing of names as people spilled out onto the sidewalk, some going on their phones, exclaiming "WE'RE GOING TO THE TONY'S!!1!!"

I walked in and asked a guy if it was over -- I, of course, already knew what he was going to say. He suggested I go to the desk where the same people who'd taken our names earlier sat, and ask if my name had been called.

Luckily for me, they'd kept all the tickets that had been unclaimed. I gave my reciept, and the lady took out each of the corresponding red tickets -- number side up -- one by one, seeing if the numbers matched. I think my heart literally skipped a beat, I was so nervous.

"Oh, yes, your name was called!" she finally said.

I sighed with relief, and they gave me my ticket, all shiny and silver, and so...official.

And that's pretty much how it happened. As of right now, I am figuring out plans for tomorrow -- where and how I should get ready, what I should bring, etc. The Philippine Independence Day Parade is also tomorrow, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to tote around a formal gown and bag full of beauty supplies/shoes around Madison Square Park. Other than that, I'm pretty anxious/excited for tomorrow...

The Tony Awards will air tomorrow night at 8p/7c on CBS, with Neil Patrick Harris as host.

Watch out, Broadway -- The Resident Artist is comin'!*

*Read Parts 2 & 3 of my adventure here.